Saturday, March 1, 2008

We are starting the journey home

Saturday March 1st 2008; Leaving Siberia for Moscow, our journey home.

We wake at 6am to be picked up to catch a flight at 8 on Siberian Air. Our plan is in motion so we are feeling great about our trip. We have been able to get the meetings and make the connections we set out to do here. This is the beginning of a long life of relations with Siberia. We are packed in the van like sardines with the other Mother, her sister and Alexis and luggage for all of us. The ride is only about 20 minutes although Sergio has the same clothes on and when he lifted his arm it was evident he hadn’t showered. The smell is overwhelming. When we reach the airport there is no curb check and it has been snowing for the day, We have bags with wheels but now we have to walk about a block or further with lots of snow, cars, ice and it is freezing cold. People everywhere although they have blinders on and no matter what they do not offer to help. We get inside soaking, exhausted from the physical challenge of carrying children, bags through high snow wind and freezing temperatures. Once inside it is close quarters and everyone watches as we drag everything to the convier belt for security. It all goes through and we are on the other side trying to get organized. With the children it seems like we can not get coordinated, Max is wanting to check out everything and wants to wonder to all areas so he is the biggest challenge inside. We get the tickets, head to the flight security where we have to take coats and extra clothing off even shoes. The floor is soaking wet and full of mud. They have a couple throws on the floor but nothing worth anything so we move on knowing we will be at our western style hotel (Sheridan) in the end and all can get cleaned up. We are now having difficulty keeping everything and Max in line and if you move at all off the line people just push in your space. It is an amazing rude population. Security has our passports and we have bags checked. I stand there now with no translation and wait and wait so I begin to point to our passports and will not move from line until I have them. Others re getting pushy but I insist and they “get it” and off to the waiting room… I spill my hot cup of coffee down my arm because my purse fell off my shoulder to my wrist. So once that is picked up with everyone watching we move to look out the window as our plane has landed. I set my purse on an empty chair inside the airport. Next to this seat is a seat with a suitcase iin it and an empty seat on the other side. This man comes and is angry and asks me in Russian to move my purse.. so I do. He sits in the seat so Deanie and I talk about his behavior and he makes facial expressions as if he understands some of our words. So we go deeper into discussion about how wonderful American men are and more I will not blog the rest of our conversation…lol anyone who knows Deanie knows how the direction that went. We hear the overhead announcement we can board so we move into the line and board the plane. As we hit the base of the steps they hold everyone back so Deanie can board with the baby… so hope for the country. It was a women! Anyway we sit and watch all the people board… Oh my gosh you won’t believe this….That man who asked me to move my purse…. His assigned seat is RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME! His face is full of surprise and Deanie and I start to laugh and plan verbally how difficult a four hour flight can be while in revenge mode…lol We have so many toys which have on and off switches loud and not so loud switches..and we are in control. He sits and puts his coat and belongings on the seat next to him. He is somewhat annoyed at the amount of times it took me to get up and down to my overhead compartment hitting the seat so many times to get comfortable. So a nice young lad comes to sit in the seat this man has his jacket. The man refuses to move his jacket and tells the young man to find another seat. He shows him it is his assigned seat and he chooses to sit there… I am in heaven… This young man with red hair has now a quest to win the battle… I am relishing in this as the flight attendant backs the young lad and the man has to remove his jacket and put it on. I am applauding the young guy for his strength to insist on his right to sit in his seat. Ok I know this was not so adult like but hey. Any little pleasure after a week of such rudeness I needed to see what goes around does come around.. even in Siberia.

The flight seemed long, Max had his moments although very good. A few of the toys when on were pretty loud and the red head most likely regretted fighting a seat in front of Max. Once we landed in Moscow we met with our driver, Dimitri, he seemed to want us to pick up the pace, he got a cart and put Max a top the luggage which was frightening for Max although since Dimitri speaks Russian he reassured Max he is safe and this is fun, as we were as well. We ran the marathon to the parking for whatever reason Dimitri kept the pace near a jog. Deanie is suffering from a blister and I am dragging my roll on and heavy lap top. The trip to the Hotel was simple, check in good so we grabbed lunch where Max ate French fries for the first time as our room was prepared. Once in the room we took the day to relax, get in touch with family and send the blog update photos and feel AMERICAN! The hotel is clean, the people are nice and speak English well. So tomorrow we will venture out to get 3 T clothes because the 2 T are really too small. I want to sight see and go to some specialty stores for gifts to bring back to friends and the kids… if anyone wants something from here please email so we can try to bring back. Russian Vodka is packed. They have Harley Davidson shop so a shirt is in order and some books from their large book store. Hard Rock CafĂ© a must for my collection and the obvious Red Square, churches, museum, castles etc. For today Max has a number of firsts: bubble bath, Ice Cream, airplane ride, his own apple, cold milk, hotel stay, and who knows how many more.

No comments: